- Indian Curry restaurants serve approximately 2.5 million customers every week!
- The most popular Indian dish is, of course, the tasty chicken curry ( and our top recipe most months ) – Chicken Tikka Masala
- Over 70,000 staff are employed by the more than 9,000 Indian Curry Restaurants in the UK and, in fact, in London there is a greater number of Indian Restaurants than there are in Bombay and Delhi combined!
- Balti means Bucket
- Indian food is without doubt the UK’s favourite cuisine. According to a recent survey, retail sales accounted for 42% of total sales of ethnic foods and was valued at £250 million.
- According to records, Britain’s first curry restaurant was opened in 1809. (the Hindustani Coffee House which is located in London’s Portman Square)
- Suprisingly enough, the actual word ‘curry’ isn’t often used in India – rather there are a variety of curry style dishes, which have their own regional characteristics
- Nottingham Trent University studies show that people begin to crave for a curry mainly due to the fact that the spices arouse and stimulate the taste buds.
- There are two indian restaurants to every one chinese restaurant.
- Two thirds of all meals out in the UK are Indian Food and this is worth 3.2 billion pounds a year!
Its clear that Indian Food has become a big part of British culture, we hope that you enjoy the recipes from our curry site.
(Visited 1,672 time, 1 visit today)